Investment accounting software provides all of the accounting functionality required to manage a wide range of exchange-traded or marketable securities – such as bonds, equities, options, futures and mortgage-backed securities. It should also support esoteric vehicles, including swaps, loans, other derivatives and CDOs.
Investment accounting software manages the interfaces with custodians and pricing vendors to include corporate actions and pricing. Reporting should include holdings/transactions to analyze performance, risk and attribution.
Fund administration software offers accounting, analysis, reporting and online tools that are critical for meeting the needs of the fund administrator’s hedge fund and private equity clients. The software should support a wide range of asset types and provide integrated investment, partnership and general ledger accounting.
Fund administration software will have shareholder registry/transfer agency capabilities, calculate management and incentive fees and allow for many transaction types and corporate actions. Automated data import/export and workflow capabilities facilitate integration between third-party software applications. The software should also include extensive report customization.
Hedge fund accounting software offers accounting, analysis, reporting and online tools that are critical for meeting the needs of portfolio managers at, and the individuals or institutional investors of, hedge funds. Hedge fund accounting software must account for and analyze the global investments that form the core of hedge fund investing — equities, derivatives, currencies, swaps and fixed income.
The software should include a general ledger and be able to capture all fund-related income/expenses to produce a fund’s NAV. Flexible reporting – including tax reporting – is also key. The ability to provide “shadow accounting” of the fund administrator’s books using independent hedge fund accounting software is often required by larger hedge funds.
- Heavily “front office” focused, defined by investor relations and marketing needs. This type of software is oriented toward CRM, client/prospect communication and reporting that depends on importing data from investment accounting systems.
- Mid-to-back office accounting/analysis systems that track all components and the entire life cycle of a private equity fund. This includes managing multiple investor capital accounts and calculating different management, performance and other fee structures across any number of partnership investment vehicles.
Absolutely. Since most clients come from a spreadsheet-only environment, we have designed a report writer that makes it easy to translate spreadsheets into FundCount reports.
For spreadsheets that are extremely complex or unique, FundCount offers FC Custom Control. This optional module provides total customization for reports and output to make your firm unique.. Custom Control allows you to:
- Use Excel® to create your templates
- Integrate your design and calculations within FundCount
- Link data directly from FundCount
- Create export files for use with other systems
- Create custom algorithms or formulas to:
- Calculate complex waterfall structures
- Handle unique fee structures
- Run proprietary portfolio analysis reports
- Save time through automation and reduce input errors
- Have an audit trail for every change and every user
FundCount has a three-tier architecture: an SQL database, application server and a thin client. The software is written in pure Java. It can run on any platform, including Microsoft, Unix/Linux or Mac.
The desktop-like application, with multi-windows and multi-tasks, provides a very rich end-user experience. The software can be run over the internet via a web browser, without installing any plug-ins locally on a user’s machine.